Monday, February 4, 2008

Marseille, Madrid, and back to Maastricht.

We let discount airlines dictate our destinations.

It's not that there aren't places that I already was sure that I wanted to visit. I have to make it to Morocco while I'm in this hemisphere, I will go to London/explore the UK a bit, and I want to see Prague and Berlin. Hopefully, I'll be able to go back to see more of Spain and visit Italy, too. It's just that during the planning phase there were so many options, and we had this rare chunk of time available to us, so, seduced by the .01 Euro tickets, we let Ryan Air guide our course.

I'll try to recap the trip another time. For now I'll just say that the Mediterranean was gorgeous, I could feel the sunshine for the first time in weeks, and I wish that this program was set in Spain. I think that I'll try to keep heading southwards in my travels. That's always been the direction that I've been pulled.

It's February already. Classes haven't started, yet, but people are trickling into the dorms. I walk into the kitchen to find empty pizza boxes- some sign of life for a change.

It's Carnival in Maastricht. This entails elaborate costumes, speakers pounding the same steady beat across the streets all day through the night and until dawn. Parents drink little glasses of beer while strolling the central square dressed in costumes like clowns or popes or policemen, cattle or opera singers. The kids run around them eating fries our of paper cones dressed in mini-versions of the same intricate outfits. It reminds me of the Castro on Holloween except it's the whole city that is transformed, and it's a full family affair. There is serious preparation and investment here. Maastricht is famous for this event, this week every year when the people of Limburg province let loose and these tidy streets get absolutely trashed.

No comments: